University of Calicut
Calicut University, 673635, Kerala, India
Tel : (Off) +91-494-2400241, 2407102
B.Sc. Agriculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Kerala University, 1973
M.Sc. Agronomy, Kerala Agricultural University (KAU), 1976
PhD Agronomy, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, 1984
Post doctoral Training, University of Aberdeen, U.K, 1991
Asst / Associate/ Professor at University level 36 years
Full Professor 13 years
Administrative experience 15 Years
Head of Research Station 09 years
Associate Dean, KAU 02 years
Head of department in KAU 04 years
▪ Educationist and Agricultural Scientist
▪ A thinker and Policy Maker
▪ Visiting Professor, Kuwait University, Kuwait (2003-2007)
▪ Advisor in Tropical Agriculture, Advisor to Government of Suriname
▪ Training specialist
With Common Wealth Academic Staff Fellowship, he completed his Post Doctoral Research at the University of Aberdeen, UK (1992). Dr Salam has exposure/ worked in 15 countries (UK, USA, Suriname, Brazil, Mozambique, Malawi, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Kuwait, Kenya, DRC, Angola, Tanzania and Liberia), as an agricultural Advisor/Consultant/Educationist.
Research Papers 154
Review articles 15
Extension Bulletins 08
Book chapters 03
National and state Awards received 08
Best Scientist Award : Krishi Vinjan Award of Govt of Kerala
National Conferences / Seminars / Workshops attended 27
International Conferences attended 02
Training Programmes conducted 40
• Introduced Bio-metric attendance system in the University for ensuring punctuality of employees.
• Identity Cards issued to all staff and students to ensure security in the campus.
• Close circuit cameras installed at strategic locations to ensure protection to University property.
• Action initiated to settle Rs 7.8 crore pending advances in the University.
• E-governance introduced in the University – 800 desktops connected to network.
• Facilities for students to lodge complaints through SMS and E-mail introduced.
• Conducted Pension Adalat for the first time in the University and settled 230 cases.
• Action initiated to recover funds from defaulters.
• For the first time, liaison officer appointed in New Delhi and Thiruvananthapuram to source funds from
Central Government agencies.
• Introduced new software to improve Financial administration.
• Secured a High Court verdict to restrict agitations at least 200 meters away from University buildings.
• A dedicated Directorate for Self-financing institutions established.
• Ensured timely salary to CLR employees.
• Publication of University Brochure, Staff Directory and CDC Hand Book.
• Publication of Ascent trimonthly regularized and News@UoC monthly started.
• Undertook massive drive to clear the pending works in the University.
• 106,236 degree certificates issued to students.
• 40,000 applications for revaluation cleared.
• Cleared around 18,480 files.
• 1,500 instance of litigations settled.
• Revamped the academic administration.
• Revamped the Examination wing – The work of the Controller of Examinations decentralized with the
appointment of 8 Joint Controller of Examination.
• 45-day time-limit set for revaluation of answer sheets.
• Launched online certificate verification system.
• Fixed academic calendar enforced for
• Publication of results.
• Issue of certificates.
• Work started to establish 10 new teaching departments.
• Convocation 2012 for PG and UG Courses.
• Conducted Sports convocation pending for 5 – years
• Cash awards of total Rs 25 lakh distributed during the year 2012 & 2013 to students.
• Proposal submitted to UGC for Rs 340-crore grant under XII Plan.
• MBA Programme under SDE Launched.
• Smart Class Room
• 68 Smart Boards Installed
• 17 Visual Presentations and 35 PA Systems Installed.
• Appointed Higher Education Dean for Lakshadweep.
• Visiting Professor appointed for Maritime Chair and Basheer Chair.
• Placement portal for Students to help them find jobs.
• Published SDE Hand Book and Brochure.
• Initiated action to fill the vacant posts of teachers.
• Research centric administration – Established the Directorate of Research.
• Directory of Ph.D. Awardees published.
• As part of Green Campus initiative, distributed cycles to students.
• Agro-Food-Flower Fest conducted.
Action initiated to set up Rs 40-crore Central Academic, Science, Library & Administrative Block.
Proposal submitted for Rs 92-crore modern sports complex.
Extensive rainwater harvesting project to recharge ground water resources. Work on around 5,000 moisture retention pits underway.
Steps initiated to construct Boundary Wall to the 500-acre University campus.
Interuniversity Centre for Plant Biotechnology – New Building Inaugurated.
Campus landscaping work initiated.
Work started to establish a 10-hectare fruit orchard in the campus along with a greenhouse and nursery.
Steps initiated to establish an electronic Park in the Camus.
1st Phase of Museum building work completed.
Work of New Hostel for Women and VIP Guest House started.
International Hostel – 1st Phase completed.
New block for Humanities partially completed.
Carried out renovation work of working women’s hostel.
1.Amity Academic Excellence Award, 2012 for Academic Excellence by Amity University, Noida
2.Maulana Azad Puraskar for Educational Upliftment – 2012 by National Unity Conference, New Delhi
3.20th Dewang Mehta business School Award, 2012 for Outstanding Contribution to Education
4.National Educational Leadership Award, 2013 for Outstanding Contribution to Education by ET NOW, Mumbai.
5.Lifetime Achievement Award, 2013 in recognition of Academic Excellence, by Indian Institute of Oriental
1.Nominated by the University Grants Commission as Agriculture Expert Committee member of UGC
2.Nominated by the Higher Education Council as a member of the Committee to revise the Act and Statutes of the Universities in Kerala.
3.Nomination to Expert Committee of UGC for providing financial assistance to the Universities and Colleges under the Innovative Programme to support specialized course.
4.Nomination to Standing Appellate Committee (SAC) of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).